Thursday, May 12, 2011

Scotland loses one lesbian MSP, gains another


Ruth Davidson, a former BBC journalist, has become Scotland’s second openly lesbian MSP.

While Ms Davidson was elected for the Glasgow region, Liberal Democrat MP Margaret Smith, who is also a lesbian, lost her seat to the SNP’s Colin Keir.

Of Scotland’s other gay MSPs, Green MSP for Glasgow Patrick Harvie and SNP MSP for Dundee West Joe FitzPatrick held their seats. Iain Smith, the Liberal Democrat MSP for North East Fife, lost his seat.

Ms Davidson held the Glasgow region seat for the Conservative Party after the previous incumbent, Bill Aitken, retired.

MSPs were sworn in yesterday.

Speaking after last week’s election, Ms Davidson said she had “very big shoes to fill” in replacing Mr Aitken.

She added: “Well, I think anyone that knows me knows that I’m not shy of standing up on my hind legs and giving it both barrels.”

Ms Davidson lives in Partick with her partner. A graduate of Glasgow University, she has lived in the city for most of her life.

Two years ago, she came third in the by-election for the seat of Glasgow East.

She has said in the past that she does not often speak about her sexuality because “it’s not the most interesting part of my life”.

She said in 2009: “In terms of coming out I had my first female partner about four or five years ago. I was open about it at the time and I’m open about it now.

“But I don’t tend to talk about it because it’s not the most interesting part of my life, you know? Some people are gay and that’s it.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment